Prepping a nutritious packed after-school snack is a great way to ensure your children are getting a healthy meal before dinner time. Intrigued? Read on for ideas on how to assemble healthy and yummy after-school snacks.
1. Yogurt parfait
Three reasons why you should opt for this snack option:
- easy to prepare - simply layer full-fat yogurt with berries or any fruit your child prefers and top with granola
- healthy because of the antioxidants from the berries
- filling because of the protein so it will keep your children full until dinner
Note: Make sure to choose real, full-fat yogurt because many of the yogurts found on store shelves are low in fat, but loaded with added sugar instead.
2. Fruit kabobs
Fruit kabobs is a great idea for after-school snack because you can offer the assembling as a fun activity for your children.
3. Carrots and dip
This is a snack that your child will have fun with because let’s be real who doesn’t love dipping carrots. Not only is it quick to prepare, this snack offers a host of health benefits because:
- Carrots are high in vitamin A, a nutrient essential for good vision.
- Yogurt dip (👆remember full-fat yogurt) is loaded with probiotic bacteria, that can have powerful effects on the digestive health.
4. Homemade trail mix
When preparing homemade trail mixes keep it mind two things:
- choose whole grain cereal
- include some type of dried fruit to ensure the snack contains ample fiber
Crunchy and colorful, bell peppers are bursting with antioxidants. They are a great snack paired with hummus or a bean dip.