Croque Monsieur is one of the classic French bistro sandwiches. It is also known as toast with ham, Swiss, mustard and béchamel.
The “Mister Crunchy” sandwich can be served as an appetizer, snack, or casual meal.
Croque Monsieur – Classic French Bistro Sandwich
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 sandwiches
Croque Monsieur - toast with ham, Swiss, mustard and béchamel , is one of the classic French bistro sandwiches.
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 thin slices of cold butter
- 12 slices of Swiss cheese
- 4 thin slices of ham
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 200 ml milk
- 40 g Parmesan, freshly grated
- pinch of nutmeg, freshly grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put the slices of bread in the toaster until golden. While still hot, lay one slice of cold butter over each slice of bread.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt 2 Tbsp butter in a small saucepan. Add 2 Tbsp flour and stir constantly for a minute. Add 200 ml of milk, a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Finally add the grated Parmesan and set aside.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread some Dijon mustard on the buttery side of each slice of bread. On 4 of the toasted bread slices, lay one slice of cheese followed by one slice of ham followed by one more slice of cheese. Then top each toast with one of the remaining 4 slices of Dijon smeared bread. On top of each sandwich, add generously some béchamel sauce and top it with a slice of cheese.
- Pop the sandwiches under the broiler and allow the cheese to brown and bubble.
- Serve hot and enjoy as an appetizer, snack, or casual meal.
Nutrition per serving
- Salt1 426mg