There are so many variations of this dish across the world.
- Somewhere it's made with red peppers, elsewhere with green.
- Somewhere it's stuffed with minced meat, elsewhere it's not.
- Somewhere it's covered in egg batter and it's fried, elsewhere it's baked.
- Somewhere it's served with tomato sauce, somewhere with creme, elsewhere with yogurt.
Wherever you are ... fresh peppers, rice, carrot, onion and flavorful spices ... You don't need anything else to make the perfect vegan stuffed peppers.
Lean Stuffed Peppers
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: X
- Yield: 4
This recipe for lean Stuffed Peppers uses fresh peppers, rice and flavorful spices to make perfect vegan stuffed peppers.
- 8 large red bell peppers
- 1 cup rice
- 1 white onion
- 1 carrot
- ground cumin
- ground pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat a nonstick skillet with a couple of Tsp of olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion and carrot.Stir with a wooden spoon until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and let it cook until it becomes translucent.
- Season with spices according to your taste - turmeric, paprika, savory, cumin, salt and pepper. Give it a nice stir allowing the heat to activate the flavor of the spices.
- Add 2 cups of hot water or vegetable stock and let it cook until the rice absorbs the liquid.
- Remove the seeds from peppers and season the inside with salt to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C/Gas Mark 5.
- Start stuffing the peppers with the rice mixture.
- Top the end of each pepper in breadcrumbs to form nice and crispy crust.
- Place the peppers in big enough baking dish and add some water in the bottom of the dish.
- Drizzle some oil over the top of the whole thing and bake them for about 45 minutes or until they are golden brown on top. Serve right away!
Nutrition per serving