It's Pumpkin Time 🎃!
There they are, sitting in those big bins at every grocery store, looking all orangey and kind of autumnal. It’s squash season!
This is a pumpkin soup that is very easy to prepare and a bit healthier than the classic version.
It is food heaven in a bowl that everyone would dream to sip in these cold days.
TWO things make this pumpkin soup more special than the classic version:
- It's made without cream! You don’t need cream to make a luscious creamy pumpkin soup! Instead of cream we are using coconut milk.
- NO store-bought puree here. Because it's so easy and worthy to master the DIY pumpkin puree!
At its core, this is a soup everyone will love - easy fall soup recipe:
- warm and pumpkin-y
- creamy and comforting
- savory and subtly sweet
- simple and satisfying
Simple Pumpkin Soup from scratch
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 h
- Yield: 3-4 servings
Simple, healthy pumpkin soup made completely from scratch! Tasty, satisfying and perfect for colder fall days.
- 2 cups pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- DIY Pumpkin Puree: Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350F / Gas Mark 4. Place the peeled and cubed pumpkin pieces over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until fork tender. When it is done, remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and roughly mash the roasted pumpkin pieces with a fork.
- Pumpkin Soup: In a large saucepan, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil, then add the finely chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes. Pour 2 cups lukewarm water into the pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the homemade pumpkin puree and the coconut milk. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Let it cook for 5 more minutes, then purée with a hand held blender. Serve the pumpkin soup topped with fresh herbs like thyme or parsley.
If you want an extra-velvety pumpkin soup, you can push the soup through a fine sieve into another pan.
The soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.